What is being said when My Therapist has advised me to “Move More”?
Updated: Dec 12, 2019
By Nat Weston
As Therapists, we at Mels Massage take pride in the way we communicate information to our clients and we recognise it is our duty of care to do this well and with clarity. Building rapport and trust with our clients is very valuable to us all and it is important to listen to instructions or advice that is given by your therapist.
We live in such a stagnant society spending much of our days seated at desks, using devices and driving in cars when our bodies are designed to move.
If you are advised during or after treatment that your specific needs require more movement in your world then all we are asking is simply that-move more! This may be to start taking a walk everyday and engage in some light stretching. Too often clients misconstrue this concept and instead can hear that the therapist has said that you need to take up jogging, begin training for a triathlon or join the local gym. If these are things you wish to do then go for it but remember baby steps and it’s a good idea to consult your health professional first.
Some easy ways to start are ...
- Take a few minutes in the morning to simply sit on the side of your bed and point and flex your toes up and down then circle your ankles, stand and twist from side to side free flowing style in your waist several times, reach up to the ceiling, bend forward toward your toes, reach over head and stretch the sides of your body.
- Incorporate any stretches or movements suggested by your therapist into your day. This should not be a stressful thing to add to your routine and designed to be achieved easily
- Start walking. If you are time poor consider using your lunch break to get outside, park further from the office or shops, do walking meetings, listen to pod casts or your favourite music to keep it fresh
- When you receive treatment at Mels Massage the therapist is working with you to improve movement patterns and create space through your joints so it is helpful if you can maintain this between appointments and you will reap the benefits
- Find a friend to share this with. It makes it more enjoyable and holds you accountable
Have fun moving!